Fashion Geek: Custom Fallout 3 Nike Dunks with Built in Ipod Touches


From Jacob Patterson:
I put my painting skills to the test for some Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas-themed Nike Dunks. Expect a long rant on the project, because it took me a year and a half.
The tongues feature jailbroken iPod Touches that have been given sounds, themes, apps, music, and related materials to fit the Fallout universe. Originally I had planned to sculpt or paint the tongues out to look like the actual Pip-Boy device, but it was too noisy. Instead, I trusted the Pip-Boy theme to do the job, and it does in a much more subtle way. On the sides are painted a soldier in Power Armor from Fallout 3 and a Ranger from New Vegas.
The music from the games really sets the tone, and packing the iPods full of the soundtracks wasn't quite enough, so I devised a custom speaker sculpture to plug into the tongues of the shoes that EL made for the project. I had never sculpted anything in my life except the lace-ends of my Kratos Kicks, so this was extremely difficult for me, and combined with the 70-100 hours I put in on the shoes, took me the better part of a year and a half working off and on to get the project up to my standards.
Aside from merely sculpting the bomb to look as though it was inspired by the nuke in Megaton, I had to custom wire the damn thing to play music from speakers inside of it. I had never done anything like this before, and took IMMENSE precautions to ensure that the speakers were not touching anything inside, that the silicone board was stable and touching no metal, that the wires didn't melt as a paintstakingly baked the clay, that everything looked even, and that the bomb surrounded the speaker in a way that was attractive and somewhat symmetrical - if torn up and rusted-looking.

I hope these shoes are easy to clean.

(by: Jacob Patterson)
Next Post Previous Post